"I've got to find that fire that defined me once so well." -GOOD RIDDANCE

Thursday, November 30, 2006

A Family Tribute

#1 – 2 Minute Mark

I chose to tribute Mark first in my family tribute series because he never reads this, so I can make fun of him. The second reason is because I thought of his nickname today, 2 minute Mark, which he is infamously known for by four others that were at my bachelor party. And the meaning will continue to be known by only those four...(Ask me later)

Mark & I have a kindred spirit, which, I guess would make sense, since we are kin and all. I have fond memories of him hiding in a closet and bursting out with a butcher knife threatening to kill me. Seriously. I'm not kidding. But those were in the olden days, when we were but small children, playing small children's games. But people who saw Mark & I as kids would say that we are similar. We were both over-competitive, we both made some bad decisions in the girl department (in high school, I mean. Come on guys, we love our wives!) and we are both SEVERELY overweight. Not really. Well, I am, but that's not the point. I do have a treadmill after all.

Here is my tribute to my brother.

#1) Best nick-name ever
#2) He is someone I can look up to. And I don't mean someone I can look up to like Ghandi or Martin Luther King Jr. or Dave Turner or someone else famous like that. These guys brought peace to the world, struck blows against racism, and in Dave's case, we have yet to see. But none of those people are real to me. They are heroes to the world, and great men, but the world is made up of heroes like my brother. He is someone real to me. He is my brother and friend. He is a great dad to his kids. He is an honest Christian who is doing his best and really trying to please God. He feeds people and combats racism at home and in his city where he sees it. He challenges me to be a better person. If the world had more heroes like this, then maybe we wouldn't need the big heroes (No disrespect to the big guys, they are great too). Everyone would be a hero. And everyone needs someone close to them that they can look up to in this way. Mark is one of mine. Hey, 2 Minute Mark could even be a super-hero name...
#3) His job is helping kids who are at the end of their ropes. He works for Child & Family Services in a group home that cares for kids that not even their families want. He gives them a friend, some discipline, an ear, and becomes a hero to them. It's jobs like his that make a real difference in this world. And I know that you can make a difference where ever you are, and that's true, but Mark is in the fire. Maybe he would be embarrassed by me saying this, and knowing his humility, he would probably talk his role down a bit, but this is real, and this is the work of Jesus.
#4) He likes ketchup on his tacos, and when I put ketchup on my tacos, other people think I'm crazy. Thanks for being there for me, Mark. There with ketchup.

I could go for longer, but this is getting too long, and I'm in ACTS class right now, so I better pay attention. Sorry, teacher/uncle Blair. The moral of this story and the reason for this tribute is that my brother Mark is one of the coolest dudes I know, and if I turn out to be half the man that he is, I will be proud and honored to walk in his footsteps.

This is really getting out of hand...I'm weeping uncontrollably right now!

P.S.- If you are ever in trouble, just yell out “2-Minute Mark!”, and he will come to your rescue. It's like Superman, but faster!

8 Comments:

  • At 9:07 PM , Blogger dave said...

    Superman definately takes 3 minutes to answer. no competetion there.

    blair,
    i'd just like to remind you,
    what a negative impact i have on others...
    socially, and spiritually.

    why, i even paid you 500 dollars to drop out of bible college back in 2003. that's low.

    and i heard dave turner beats puppies.
    what kind of a sick, twisted guy does that...

    not mark, that's my point.
    last guy i'd expect to beat a puppy, or two.

    i'm with you blair. he's the one in your family i've spent the least time with, except if you count joy's boyfriend, but he's made an impression on me for sure. as much as anything, for the way that he cares about his little punk brother.

    here's my own superhero tribute:
    2 minute mark... fighting crime, in half the time.
    2 minute mark... he'll fight and go, before you know.
    2 minute mark... he gets it done, and makes it fun.
    2 minute mark... better than you, and even lemieux.
    2 minute mark... doing his duty, more than doug flutie.
    2 minute mark... when its dark, still on the mark.
    2 minute mark... he does the task, and has a flask??
    2 minute mark... your brother and mine...but not mine.

    shoot... this was one of your 'serious' posts, wasn't it... crap, guess i wrecked that. well. see. i'm no mark.

     
  • At 6:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Now that's a feel good blog post... thanks for the thoughts Blair, your brother is a good man indeed. Is this a series? You have a big family so it could take a while - good things could be said about them all...

     
  • At 7:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I miss Mark.

    John

     
  • At 9:44 AM , Blogger xblairx said...

    that's the plan, tim. and maybe some other stuff inbetween, but i'll try to go through bros, sisters, mom, dad, and see where it leads from there...

    dave,

    that was the greatest song ever. i'm gonna copy that one down and give it to mark.

     
  • At 6:15 AM , Blogger jerms said...

    i miss mark too. some good times with that guy. when you send him daves epic song, tell him i say hello.
    miss ya blair. breakfast when i get home?

     
  • At 9:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Blair.. That was awesome.! Made me cry. ha, yeah we are pretty blessed, and Mark's a pretty great person.. Love you Blair, say hi to the family...!! and p.s. since nobody may write a blog about you, you are an amazing brother too.. love you... Keri

     
  • At 12:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Okay.... bad decisions in the girl department in high school.... am i supposed to have my feelings hurt here?...... good thing we married other people.

     
  • At 9:30 AM , Blogger xblairx said...

    who are you that wrote this? no offense intended! just a joke.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home