"I've got to find that fire that defined me once so well." -GOOD RIDDANCE

Friday, April 04, 2008

the way i see things

in the past few days, it has come to light that two prominent canadian politicians are suffering the consequences of mistakes made many years ago. in 1991, Tom Lukiwski, the Conservative MP in my Regina-Lumsden Lake Center riding was caught on tape using homophobic slurs. the Premier of my province, Saskatchewan, Brad Wall, was in the same room and on the same tape, making an ethnic slur, imitating a Ukrainian voice and belittling then premier, Roy Romanow. another was heard to call then Liberal leader, Linda Haverstock a slut.

now, I have made no secret of my dislike of Conservative politics. one might think I would jump all over this in an attempt to discredit the Conservative agenda. and that was my first reaction, if I'm being honest. but then i remembered that i am a christian first and a political junkie second. to jump all over these men for mistakes they made in their past would be no better than someone holding the fact that i used to be a drug addict 7 years ago against me today. everyone deserves forgiveness. and not just a second time, but a third and fourth. this is what Jesus taught and this is what we must live by. so regardless of my political stance, i will not hold this against them. i know i am not directly involved, so my forgiveness might mean nothing to them, but i want to call on everyone to accept their apology and move forward. i stand up for gay rights and believe they deserve to be treated every bit as equal as heterosexuals. but if we hold grudges against those who slight the ones we defend, we are no better than they are. we must extend a hand and forgive, not because we are better, but because we are all people and we have all made mistakes. now, the video was very disturbing. demeaning homosexuals, ukrainians/ethnic groups, and women. they pretty much covered all the bases. as offended as i am, i can claim no superiority over these people. i have made many mistakes which most of you know of and many that you don't. when someone airs my dirty laundry for the world to see, i would like to think that someone i have offended might extend me the grace that Jesus would to anyone, and does to us today. just my two cents.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:13 PM , Blogger Brian said...

    You don't have to go too far to hear stories like this. I hear it at the oddest times in my grade 8 classroom. Not when they are trying to be funny and the center of attention, but when their guard is down and they are just talking straight. That is when their attitudes and prejudices really come out. You know they are learning this stuff from somewhere. Where is that anyway?

    I just got back from visiting my parents. I heard a friend say, "I don't go that that Old Navy anymore. It has turned into a dump. Ya, a lot of blacks work there."

    Talk like this is truly shit, and that is just one way to describe it. We've all dabbled in it, like you said, but we have to say something about it. Forgive, yes, but say something too.

    I said nothing to my friend when they made the comment about the black thing cause I'm a coward. I remember when you had to sit down with that guy who was offended when you said "chief". That is what I need, the courage to swallow my pride and apologize and then speak up.

    I remember that story you told

     
  • At 9:07 AM , Blogger xblairx said...

    hey brian,
    yes!! brian is back! or maybe you've been here all along and i just harassed you enough to post on my blog! ha.

    at any rate, you are right. something has to be said. we have to have the courage to stand up and say something when things aren't right or when garbage is coming out of someone's mouth, however hard that might be. i have been reading a book by Martin Luther King, and one chapter that really grabbed a hold of me was one on being a non-conformist. he talks about the power of being in a crowd and wanting to blend in and how that is so much easier that standing out. in this specific instance, of racism/sexism/homophobia, it is important for us to stand out in the crowd. not because we want to be recognized. i think that's the last thing most people want when confronting the majority, but we do it because it is who Jesus was. the greatest non-conformist ever! he is our example, or at least mine, and for that reason, i need to stand out in a crowd against injustice. anyway, his thoughts are smarter than mine, so i thought i'd share those!

     
  • At 9:09 AM , Blogger xblairx said...

    another thing. i am sure you know this, but i think it's important not to beat ourselves up when we don't stand up and say something. we have all felt that shame of blending in and not rocking the boat when we know we should. but my prayer is that as people do that, they will recognize it and stand up the next time even stronger! you are a smarter man than i am, brian, so i'm sure you know that. that situation when i used the word "chief" profoundly effected the way i see the world and people around me. i hope everyone has a chance to get kicked in the butt this way so they can be spurred to change the status quo.

     
  • At 4:33 PM , Blogger Brian said...

    Well said. Human interaction is so delicate. Stand up, but don't offend or cram. And make sure you are living what you stand for, or you are just acting. But we are all acting in one way or another. Don't brow-beat yourself, but realize you are weak. The good news is so odd sometimes. It reminds us that we are broken, then reminds us that we are beautiful.

    There is obviously no linear step process for human interaction. What else can we do but take each situation as it comes. Treat each person as Jesus did: a brother and a sister despite skin colour, religion, cultural background, etc.

    I sure appreciate the opportunity to talk this stuff out. Thanks, Blair.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home