"I've got to find that fire that defined me once so well." -GOOD RIDDANCE

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

In Remembrance...

as someone who is outspoken against war, today brings mixed emotions for me.

i used to be more judgmental in my criticisms of this day because i figured that anyone who celebrated it was pro-war. i realize now that the world is not so black and white. today is a day to remember. with my limited years, i have only seen canadians involved in one war, afghanistan. but today, watching men and women who fought in afghanistan, men and women who participated in peace keeping missions around the world, those who fought in korea, men who fought in WW2, and the one remaining 108 year old man who fought in WW1, i felt a deep sorrow for those who have lost their lives. men and women, who lost their lives fighting for something they believed in. fighting for something bigger than themselves. fighting for their children. fighting for me, and for my children.

we can debate all we want whether or not a war is just. i still believe that war is not the answer to the world's problems, and i still believe we need to have those debates. but i can no longer discount the men and women who have given their lives for something they believed in. and even when they don't believe in the war or the politicians that started it, they still willingly step into the line of fire for a cause greater than themselves. that is more than i have ever done in my life. and because they are willing to do that, i am grateful. and i will honor them, regardless of my political & religious beliefs. today, i will remember.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Well said son! Mom

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home