"I've got to find that fire that defined me once so well." -GOOD RIDDANCE

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

the end of MEANS

on friday, a piece of me will die. something that has been so significant in my growth as an individual will not be there for me to lean on. MEANS is calling it quits after 7 years. so many memories.

playing MXPX cover songs and teenage supermodel in the common room at wcc, my eyes transfixed on my bass guitar for fear of missing a note. 20 of our best friends in the world shouting their support, regardless of how lame we were. pushing boundaries that now seem ridiculous. fighting for our right to play. my brother pete, our biggest fan. our first official show. 341 productions presentation with OE, 71 Gaps (jess, james and derek), Neighborhood Watch and MEANS2ANEND! the excitement. the possibility. the clash with DRCSS. making friends with DRCSS. flyers on windshields followed by complaints. allied arts center. old fire hall. western's auditorium. student center. a new and growing music scene. jamming in the basement of mom's house, aaron's mom's house, the dorm. stupid trains pissing me off at 7 in the morning, thanks a lot jess. coffee with derek and jess. watching movies with aaron, "KUNG POW 4 LIFE!." thanks ben for making fun of how much butter i put in kraft dinner. pancakes the next morning. bringing Every New Day & Goodsampark to dauphin. recording in the barn with derek. recording in russell at a goofy guys house. recording in redvers. "if anyone thinks he is something...", in my pre-pubescent voice. recording with kelly martin and becoming george bush's wet dream. the last dauphin show before we moved to regina. the small town feel and music that brought us together.

road trips to winnipeg with dave, the shell gas guy. road trips to regina with supportive friends and shows with only 10 people. road trip to providence, thanks for the snow storm eder. crappy winnipeg church shows, no offense winnipeg. grafton, ND with H and Dead Poetic. not to mention eating gravy and ketchup on bread with jeff h. borrowing mom's station wagon. driving miss judy. road trips. where i found myself. where i found friendship. where i had the best conversations. where i heard the funniest jokes. al pacino? aaron, will you ever drive? jamming with goodsampark, best friends in the world, jeremy, kris, peter and ricky. new places. fresh faces. buffalo lounge, the best venue ever. moose jaw, what's with all the dead animals on the wall? ontario trip that almost ruined my friendship, i was such an a-hole, sorry about that aaron! staying in carlyle, thanks for letting me raid your fridge, shelby! playing the tuba at 4 am. dragging my beautiful wife to see shows she could care less about, but loved me enough to support me. the excitement of new songs and new directions. moving to regina. new scene and new challenges. new friends. too many to name.

parting ways to start my family. the hardest thing i've ever had to do. i am sincerely thankful that dylan and todd helped means live on a few years longer.

music saved my life. MEANS saved my life. i am thankful to have been a part of this.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home