"I've got to find that fire that defined me once so well." -GOOD RIDDANCE

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

colby elfords take on mad cow disease

i've been away for awhile. both my brain and body are the enemies keeping me from taking the time to write. i have too much homework, and at soccer the other day when i was making spectacular saves that would make nic olson proud, i wrecked my neck. i was mostly bed ridden until today, so here i am sharing my pointless thoughts with you once more.

check that. i'm going to share someone else's thoughts with you and ask you what you think. i'm reading a brilliant book right now by Douglas John Hall called "The Cross In Our Context". i highly recommend that everyone read it. anyway, i don't have time to explain everything about the book, but i just wanted to share some quotes with you that made me stop and re-evaluate some things. check it to wreck it...

"Triumphalism refers to the tendency in all strongly held worldviews, whether religious or secular, to present themselves as full and complete accounts of reality, leaving little if any room for debate or differences of opinion and expecting of their adherents unflinching belief and loyalty. Such a tendency is triumphalistic in the sence that it triumphs-at least in its own self-estimate-over all ignorance, uncertainty, doubt, and incompleteness, as well, of course, as over every other point of view...The only antidote to religious triumphalism is the readiness of communities of faith to permit doubt and self-criticism to play a vital role in the life of faith. Unforunately, it is unusual when a religious faith leaves room for profound questioning of itself on the part of its adherents. Even more rarely does religion actually invite and encourage such questioning. "

maybe it's more obvious that i thought, but do you agree with this? do you believe this is true of the church and its followers? if so, is that okay? do we need to change it? just some thoughts from a man much smarter than i.

6 Comments:

  • At 1:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    blair, i learned all my goalkeeper moves from watching you play bass in means. you get all the credit.

     
  • At 9:24 AM , Blogger Chris & Rachel said...

    my big brother is a very smart guy. especially when it comes to cows.

     
  • At 5:48 PM , Blogger 2-minute mark said...

    blair, we as individual xians and a church community would be much better off relying on God and being honest about the fact that we need Him. you know when someone asks someone else how they are doing and they say "fine" pretty much every single time. I wish more people including myself and my fellow xians would say "actually, today sucked!!! I got in a fight with my wife, work made me cry, and my heart is aching because i 'fell short' of Gods glory by sinning numerous times throughout the day with my thoughts and actions. I cant even remember if this is what that that quote was talking about now, but to answer your question, yes its true in some cases, No its not okay, and yes we need to change it. oh and blair, no one is smarter than you, my brother!

     
  • At 7:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hey blair
    ..not going to lie. i didnt really get that paragraph.. but thats just cause im not as OLD and wise as my big brothers i guess.. lol i miss yOU! im hoping to come for homecoming at the end of this month. you have room for me? haha.. ill give you a call soon. Love you, say hi to melissa and my beautiful niece for me! talk to you soon

     
  • At 8:28 PM , Blogger Nic said...

    now i remember why that title is so familiar.
    sweet song.
    remember when we were gsp?

     
  • At 5:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    over my head. - kris

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home