"I've got to find that fire that defined me once so well." -GOOD RIDDANCE

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

first rule: we don't talk about fight club

first of all, a shout out to my bro ham, 2 minute mark. it was his birthday this past sunday and i think he turned 45 or something like that. congrats and keep rocking like your 28.

i watched fight club this weekend. it's an interesting movie, and i'm not here to recommend it or take it down a notch. i thought it was okay. there's some stuff i don't like, and some stuff that i think was really cool about it. anyway, that's besides the point because there's a line that stuck in my head.

the main character, edward norton, is an insomniac. the way he cures his insomnia is hilarious, i think. he starts going to support groups. and not support groups for insomniacs. he goes to support groups for tuberculosis, infectious diseases, cancer, etc... you name it, he has a support group for it. he goes to these support groups, and in each one, at some point they pair off and hug, cry, sob and hold eachother for support and comfort. this is what he loves to do. he gets it all off his chest and cries and weeps and sobs for as long as he needs to. then he goes home and sleeps like a baby.

at one point, he is talking to some girl who knows what he's doing and she asks him why he does what he does. his answer made me a little uncomfortable.

he said...
"i like going to these places because when people think that your dying, it's the only time they'll really listen to you. every other time, they're just waiting for their turn to speak."

i know it's just a movie, and i know i am probably taking this way too seriously. but i think it's true. yeah, there are some gifted people out there who really know how to listen to other people. i don't, though. most of the time, i am just waiting for my turn to speak. i am the center of my own world, and everyone else is just background noise. i'll nod my head and pretend like i care, but i really don't. sometimes i do, but rarely. unless it is someone i am very, very close to, it is really difficult for me to get my head out of my butt and pay attention to something other than myself. does anyone else struggle with this? we live in a very individualistic society where everything is about me and what I want. we are taught to be consumers and buy the things that will benefit me and make our individual lives comfortable. this has infected our, or at least my, thought and speech in very real ways.

this bleeds into our churches, as well. we all bring our own individual lives to church each sunday and rarely let others in. we become concerned with what we can get out of service, not with what we can give. for a long time, i didn't go to church, because i kept telling myself that i didn't get anything out of it. but what if we could all learn to truly listen? just listen to eachother? i guess the reason this hit me so hard is because although it was just a movie, i want our churches to be a place where we truly listen to the needs and hurts and desires and frustration of people everywhere. that statement shouldn't be true, yet i think it is. when people are dying shouldn't be the only time we will listen to them.

i don't know where this rant is going. i don't have a big point to make. i guess i just think if we all became more concerned with the community, not just our churches but our town and cities and countries, more people would feel listened to. i think that would be good.

i am so not eloquent today. i'll try again tomorrow. look for my deep thoughts about "dumb and dumber" coming soon...

11 Comments:

  • At 11:54 AM , Blogger Keri M. Valdez said...

    Hey Blert.. Good blog. I enjoy reading your thoughts.. I think that is a sad but true comment he said from the movie..!:) We definitely need to be more concerned about the community and other people.. Get involved! Yeah, what you said.. Love you Blair, say hi to the family, and we'll see you in about a week and a half...:) Lata slata

     
  • At 12:18 PM , Blogger 2-minute mark said...

    What a quote from that movie! We should start a fight club, blair. Good questions your asking, though. I Dont have any answers, but good questions. Learning how to truly listen must be so hard, to block yourself and everything else out and just hear. The reason i say "must be so hard" is because i listen all the time, but dont always hear. Thanks for the reminder blair.

     
  • At 12:19 PM , Blogger 2-minute mark said...

    oh ya, i got a new posting on my blog if anyone wants to wander there. Its a tribute to my parents, so feel free to comment on how tubular they are.

     
  • At 12:38 PM , Blogger Keri M. Valdez said...

    hey blair! Would you happen to know Matthew Wieb's email or phone number..?? for tax purposes:)just email it to me if you do.. marie_2000_13@yahoo.ca

     
  • At 12:48 PM , Blogger chelsey said...

    this quote has always stuck out to me too. it's interesting that you wrote about fight club because i was just thinking about it the other day. we really are all dying, we just take each other for granted. i'm definitely always waiting to talk... i'm married to peter!

     
  • At 1:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Preach on Brother Blair! Listening is an art, but a necessary part of our spiritual commitment to the world. Does God listen? Yes...every day...to everybody...all the time!!!! Did Jesus listen...to everyone who had hears! Do we listen, do we ask the question, how are you and really want to know? Not often! A challenge to all of us, begin at home, listening to our family,why is this so hard? Listening to God, this is so important! My problem is stopping life long enough to hear the words and direction from God, so I know what it is He wants me to do...and oh my at work, church and in the world, I need to pay attention! Hurting people, broken hearted everywhere. A real challenge, thanks for reminding me my dear son! You bless my heart! I am so proud of who you are and who you are becoming! Thank you for your open heart and honesty! Love, Mommy!!!!

     
  • At 1:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oops, I spelt ears wrong, it should read everyone who had ears, not hears! Oh my it is the end of the day! I am tired, can you tell? Love, your spaced out mom!

     
  • At 7:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hey blair.
    I completely agree with you Blair. I was sitting here thinkin bout how many times people have asked me how are you? and i simply reply with im good, how are you? because you dont think people really wanna hear about how horrible of a day you have had or the troubles in your life or the good things in your life for that matter. Then i started thinkin bout how many people i talk to and ask how they are doing. Do they really feel open to tell me that they are having a bad day or to tell me that they are having a good day and whats going on in their life? Or do they feel like they have to reply with a simple fine, because they dont think im really listening or want to know anyways. You just made me think about how i really want people to feel like i really want to listen to them and care about what they are saying. Thanks bud.. love you!

     
  • At 7:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    sorry for the novel

     
  • At 11:28 PM , Blogger peter a. roberts said...

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 11:30 PM , Blogger peter a. roberts said...

    Blair, check out the means video at this link...

    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=7119211

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home